Piezography Pro & Carbon, Special edition?

Hi, been looking for information on how the new Piezography Pro ink and if it is replacement for other ink sets such as Carbon & Special edition.

Are there curves that will print these other ink sets from Piezography Pro ink, or would you have to run additional printers with these ink sets?

thanks

Pro is not a replacement for Piezography K7 hues (not built to) although it gets 98% of matching to Neutral and Warm Neutral and pretty close to Special Edition too.

PiezoPro is meant to split tone so you can make up a “match” on the fly, it just won’t be the same because it uses different raw materials and has a different “base” tone.

best,
Walker

Ok got, so it seems that an additional printer is required to use pro if you already print other ink sets, especially carbon!

Man this piezography can end up being expensive with so many inksets and a printer required for each one :frowning:

Carbon is a very unique ink set. But the very warm Piezography Pro is also very satisfying - just different. We will be holding Piezography Pro workshops at Cone Editions Press this Summer. We’ll be running the K7 and Pro systems side-by-side. You may want to consider coming to one of these with a lot of your images and printing for a few days on both systems and make an informed and experiential decision.

best,
Jon

[QUOTE=bubblecatcher;12635]Ok got, so it seems that an additional printer is required to use pro if you already print other ink sets, especially carbon!

Man this piezography can end up being expensive with so many inksets and a printer required for each one :([/QUOTE]

living in the UK a trip to the US for workshop not that straigt forward, though would love to :slight_smile:

I’m reviving an old thread because I want to suggest that IJM supply some starter spit-toning recipes for people using the Pro inks and Community Edition curves. As it stands, the CE contains cool, neutral and warm curves. In the FAQ on the IJM shop site, in response to a question like this, you say “It is the split-toning that makes up the other 999,900 combinations. That is a daunting task and we think the Community is going to be instrumental in sharing these discoveries. Cone Editions Press is going to be sharing split-tone settings on a regular basis.”

I haven’t seen any yet. Perhaps there are some in the Pro Tools forum, but surely CE users could benefit from such recipes as well? Any users care to share recipes? I know that you can’t replicate SpecEd exactly using Pro inks, but surely you must be able to get into the ballpark / cricket ground?

After posting I found this post (I did search for it before posting because I had a vague recollection, but couldn’t find it). Are there any refinements to that recipe?