Gloss Overcoat Only Covering Side of Print

All of a sudden after working fine, when I try to apply the gloss overcoat, it is only covering about
two inches of the print on the left side of the print all of the way down. It doesn’t seem to matter
what size the print is. Did I inadvertently mess some settings up in QTR that I don’t know about?
I have double checked all of the print settings and all look correct.
Like I said, this just started happening.

Jerry

Please let us know your printer, the GO curve you are using, and if you are printing with a white image in QTR.

need to know specs before I can debug from afar.

Best.
Walker

Hi Walker,
I am using a 3880 Pro, 3800-3880-30000GO profile, and I am using the white image in QTR.
As I said, it’s been working fine since I started using Piezography last summer. The issue just
started on Saturday. I’ve been printing 8 1/2 x 11 and 13 x 19 prints on Jon Cone Type 5 paper.

Thanks,
Jerry

That is very strange. The only thing I can think is that it’s some sensor bug . . .

Try printing a totally blank sheet of paper w/ GO and let us know.

Walker

OK. I’ll try it this evening when I get home.

Jerry

Dana/Kelly

I recently tried doing the gloss overlay on large prints 24x30 on Epson Exhibition Paper. On one occasion it worked but most often not…it stops printing the overlay midway thru the print. I was following the blog and in December it seemed that Dana may soon have a solution. I am desperate for any guidance—I have a show in two weeks.

Sincerely,

Ron

I just tried to print the gloss overlay on US letter size paper after printing the piezography calibration image…the gloss overlay was 8x8 inches not the full sheet.

Walker,
I just tried a blank 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. It did go through and gave the 1/8 margins on the sides and top but stopped about a 1/2 inch
short of the bottom. Also, now when I try to do one with an image on it, I get a paper feed error after I hit print in QTR.

FYI, I am using the front feed on the printer.

Jerry

I forgot to mention that I’m using an Epson 7900 printer with Sheet feed.

Yep. The 7900 is total not-good go printer. There is a light small sensor about 5 inches from the right side of the printer right as the paper goes into the printer. It has to see white paper.

Putting a printed page in there and then gently holding a white sheet over it (but not resting on the rollers), then hitting print, will possibly fix this issue.

Dana and I are working on a hack. It’s been awhile with this printer . . . .

best,
Walker

Anything on my 3880 problem?

Thanks Walter…does it help if you use larger margins for the print?

I was worried about this when i got a 2nd hand 7900, lucky for me it has work worked fine every time, with a 2 inch border all around on a 24 inch roll. And with A4 sheets printed with a 1 inch margin. The major complaint I have is the nozzle check sensor always thinks I have a blocked nozzle, which it did not think while there was piezoflush in that slot. I am also interested in the one step glossy when it happens though.

Hmmmm… No response from support in several days. Is common for them to abandon customers?

Support on weekends is less common, although it does happen from time to time. I think you’ll get a response Monday or perhaps Tuesday Vermont time.

the 1/8" and the 1/2" is normal limitations of the QTR Page Setup. I think the bottom is actually .58" according to QTR. Is that the problem you are having? Or is it something else?

[QUOTE=Jerry Basierbe;10419]Walker,
I just tried a blank 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. It did go through and gave the 1/8 margins on the sides and top but stopped about a 1/2 inch
short of the bottom. Also, now when I try to do one with an image on it, I get a paper feed error after I hit print in QTR.

FYI, I am using the front feed on the printer.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Jon,
No, the issue is that I it will only cover a 1 to 2 inch wide strip down the entire side of the print. It was working perfectly
for me up until last Saturday when it starting doing this.
When it was working normally I would get 1/8 inch margins all the way around the print.

Jerry

If not printing the image, and only printing the sides - then the white.tif file you are printing may be corrupted if its the same size as what is not being printed.

Are you on Mac or PC? If Mac, try making a page setup same size as your print. Then just print the page setup with the GO curve. No pure white.tif file needed… Have you tried that?

Jon,
I’m on a PC. I thought about the white file being corrupt and created a new one. I’m getting the same results with either one.
It’s only printing one strip of the GO down the right side of the print all of the way down. Sometimes about 1 inch wide, sometimes
about two inches wide.

Try this GO curve. I’m working on upgrading it’s underlying tech.

http://inkjetmall.com/tech/uploads/880-3000GO-modified.quad.zip

Sorry for the delay.
Let me know how it goes.
-Walker