Epson 4900 - Questions about general maintenance

Hi Walker:

I did a nozzle check on my recently purchased (had it about a month now) refurbished Epson 4900 and found that one little speck was out on the LK. So after a standard cleaning on the MK-PK/LK combo the LK came back perfect. But it had me wondering…

1. On the Epson 4900, is the MK piezio grouping in the print head (I think it’s called a channel?) the same as the PK piezio grouping in the print head?
  2. In reference to question 1, is it good practice to periodically nozzle check on BOTH the MK setting and the PK setting?
  3. How often would you recommend removing all the carts and agitating them to keep the pigments in solution and the printer happy? After agitating, is it necessary to manually prime the carts before putting them back into the printer or just let the printer do the work?
  4. Similar to changing the oil in your car for maintenance, is there any maintenance you could recommend on a 4900 on a monthly or yearly basis? Note…I do run a nozzle check and my favorite Adobe test print every day.

Thanks in advance!
Ted B.

On the Epson 4900, is the MK piezio grouping in the print head (I think it’s called a channel?) the same as the PK piezio grouping in the print head?

Yes.

In reference to question 1, is it good practice to periodically nozzle check on BOTH the MK setting and the PK setting?

Not really needed. But do switch occasionally so the switch motor does not stick in the future.

Similar to changing the oil in your car for maintenance, is there any maintenance you could recommend on a 4900 on a monthly or yearly basis? Note…I do run a nozzle check and my favorite Adobe test print every day.

Instructions for preventative maintenance here: Print Head Cleaning Tips and Preventative Maintenance

WOW…Outstanding information!

I printed the Print Head Cleaning Tips and Preventative Maintenance document and I am keeping it for safe keeping in that fancy binder that Epson included with their User Guide. Good stuff!

Much obliged Mr. Walker,
Ted B.